On Air MATTHEW PELLS

Playing now: Otis Redding - Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay

Playing next: -  

Scarborough Town Centre Development Plan Gets Review

Scarborough Town Centre Development Plan Gets Review

Published by Local Democracy Reporter Carl Gavaghan at 4:10pm 24th June 2020. (Updated at 4:28pm 24th June 2020)

A date has been set for two call-ins to be heard over Scarborough Council’s plans to borrow £22million to turn a disused building in Scarborough town centre into 200 flats for students and NHS staff.

The authority’s Cabinet took the decision to proceed with the scheme last week, but that move has now been the subject of two separate call-ins by councillors.

Five Conservative councillors and five independents later signed call-ins, calling on the council to send the matter back to its Overview and Scrutiny Board, to be reviewed.

Scarborough Council plans to replace the former Argos building in Newborough with a scheme drawn up in collaboration with Coventry University Scarborough and the York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, which runs services at Scarborough Hospital.

As part of the plans, the council is also looking to creating a “market square” which could include demolishing some buildings at St Helen’s Square, which is adjacent to the Argos site.

However, concerns have now been raised about the viability of the scheme due to the Covid-19 pandemic and its impact on local authority finances.

The Conservative call-in, led by the group’s leader and deputy leader, councillors Derek Bastiman and Heather Phillips, said the decision was taken “without due regard to the massive change in the economic outlook for Scarborough Council”.

A second, separate call-in was also lodged, lead by the Cluster of Independent Members (CIM) leader Cllr Bill Chatt calling for the issue to once more be debated by Full Council.

It has now been decided that both call-ins will be heard together on Wednesday July 8 at 2pm.

The Overview and Scrutiny Board can make recommendations to the Cabinet for it to consider.

At last week’s Cabinet meeting the councillors voted to progress with both the accommodation and market square schemes in principle, providing a number of viability assessments are met.

Six former Scarborough Council planning officers also called on the authority to think again about its plans for the building, in an email to all councillors the group cast doubt on the likelihood of the scheme securing planning permission and said they were “dismayed” at the proposals.

Comments

There are 2 comments on this page.

Call in the dark, on 25th June 2020 8:55am
Why don’t we move the town hall into this classic 60’s building, knock down the current old town hall and extend the beautiful Olympia amusements to cover them dilapidated gardens linking across to the Futurist site and bring the amusements up to St. Nicholas street, we could have the walzers round the statue of Queen Vic (if its allowed to remain)
Clif, on 25th June 2020 9:18am
Having more people living in the town centre is a brilliant idea, more green and close to facilities. The new square looks good too.

Submit a Comment

Submit A Comment