Playing now: Mark Morrison - Return of the Mack

Playing next: -  

East Riding Councillor Dies From Coronavirus

East  Riding Councillor Dies From Coronavirus

Published by Local Democracy Reporter Joe Gerrard at 11:39am 23rd April 2020. (Updated at 11:44am 23rd April 2020)

The leader of East Riding Council says the authority has “suffered a deep loss” following the death of one of its councillors from coronavirus.

Cllr Richard Burton paid tribute to Michael Bryan, 75, after he died at Castle Hill Hospital on Saturday.

Cllr Bryan, who was also Mayor of Hedon in the 1990s, passed away days after testing positive for coronavirus.

He was admitted to hospital in February with sepsis and other health problems.

Cllr Burton said Cllr Bryan, who served as a Conservative councillor for South West Holderness ward for nine years, always represented the interests of his constituents.

Cllr Burton said:

“I was incredibly saddened to hear of the death of Councillor Mike Bryan and my thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.

Mike was very much a family man who lived and worked in his community and ran his own successful business in Hedon until he retired and he represented the people in the South West Holderness ward for the last nine years.

Mike was not only a colleague, but a friend as well. He was a very kind-hearted person who was passionate about his community and would always represent the interests of his residents at every opportunity.

He was a great man and will be a deep loss to all who knew him and the residents of South West Holderness have lost a great community champion.”

Cllr Burton told a cabinet meeting on Tuesday that the council would commemorate Cllr Bryan’s service to the local authority at a later date.

Cllr Bryan was born in Hedon and ran a successful tool hire company before later entering local politics.

The tribute comes as Jason Bryan, Cllr Bryan’s son, said his father’s death may have been avoided if NHS staff had had better access to personal protective equipment (PPE).

Hull University Teaching Hospitals Trust said they were strictly following Public Health England guidelines on PPE and staff testing had been taking place for two weeks.




No comments have been posted and approved yet.

Submit a Comment

Submit A Comment