Playing now: Elton John / Kiki Dee - Don't Go Breaking My Heart

Playing next: -  

Support for EU Citizens in North Yorkshire

Support for EU Citizens in North Yorkshire

Published by Jon Burke at 8:19am 24th September 2019. (Updated at 12:00pm 26th September 2019)

North Yorkshire is stepping up support and urging EU citizens living and working in the county to apply for pre-settled or settled status – ideally before October 31st.

The County Council’s Registration Service has launched a scanning service to help people with the application process

North Yorkshire’s Executive Member for Customer Engagement, County Councillor Greg White, said:

“We want our EU citizens and their families to know that they are very welcome in North Yorkshire and are a very important part of the cultural and economic vitality of our region; valued members of our workforce and communities.

There are hundreds of EU citizens working across North Yorkshire across all sectors, and particularly in care, the NHS, farming and and our leisure and tourism industries. They are a crucially important part of our collective workforce and will continue to be so post-Brexit. 

Applying for pre-settled or settled status is free and easy to do; nationally over 1 million people have already successfully applied and secured their future and we encourage others to do so.” 

The county council is also contacting and encouraging employers across the health and social care sector to do everything possible to engage with their current EU workers and provide reassurance of the stability of working in the UK post Brexit. The council is working with employers to urge their employees to apply as soon as possible and ideally prior to 31st October to secure settled status. 

Cllr White added:

“Alongside other employers the county council is supporting its own EU employees to apply for settled status. We are giving them clear assurances about their ability to continue to work for us now and into the future. They are an important part of our workforce and will continue to be so post-Brexit.” 

The council’s Registration Service is stepping up support with a scanning service specifically designed for those who need help with the application process which requires the use of a compatible Android phone or tablet to scan identity documents and take photographs. 

The scanning service is for people who do not have access to a compatible device to scan and verify their documents as part of their application. This is available by appointment, initially at the Harrogate, Northallerton and Scarborough and Harrogate registration offices. 

EU citizens and their families are able to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme for free, to enable them to continue living and working in the UK after 30 June 2021.

Case study:

Zuzana McGeever is deputy manager at Station View, Starbeck, which is a county council day and short break residential care centre.  She came to the UK 14 years ago from Slovakia where she had qualified as a social worker and has worked in the care sector ever since.  She is now married to an English man and has two children born in the UK.  

She said:

“My children were really anxious about what would happen to me after Brexit and in any case I wanted to ensure that I would be OK, so I was one of the first to apply for settled status back in the spring.  I went online, downloaded the app, took a photo and made the application. I had a response from the Home Office within a couple of days to confirm I had been granted settled status and had “indefinite leave to remain” in the UK.  It was very easy and it has given me and my family peace of mind. 

I would recommend to anybody from the EU, who lives and works in the UK and wants to remain in this country, to apply for settled status.   It’s a simple process, I did it in one evening, and there is help on hand if you need it.  I don’t have to worry anymore what is going to happen, I can continue working and living my life as usual no matter what the Brexit outcome is going to be.” 

Please note:

The County Council’s Make Care Matter Recruitment Hub team can provide care sector employers with support and advice:

Employers should contact resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk  or phone (01609) 535585.

Information on who is required to apply for pre-settled or settled status can be found on the government website. Please ensure you read this guidance carefully before applying.

You must book an appointment to use the ID Verification scanning service, please telephone 01609 780780. The service is available at the Northallerton, Scarborough and Harrogate registration offices.

What to bring to your appointment

  • Your current valid biometric EU, EEA or Swiss passport or a valid Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) for family members of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen
  • A mobile phone that can receive text messages or a device that can receive emails. 

Only the ID documents listed above can be checked.

View the ID verification service fees.

If you do not have one of the ID documents listed, or want more information about the EU Settlement Scheme, see the government website.

To gain more information regarding eligibility and to apply for pre-settled or settled status please use the following links:







There are 2 comments on this page.

zara, on 26th September 2019 3:18pm
How much is this costing the taxpayer? I thought the councils were short of money so how can they afford to do this. Surely the people who are over here working are obviously intelligent enough to be able to sort out their own applications.
ANB, on 26th September 2019 7:36pm
Having had the experience of seeing my Dutch wife applying for Settled Status for my Dutch wife, I find the whole system discombobulated. The first stage at the Registry Office was easy and the staff helpful. However, upon attempting to proceed from there on internet was not easy, to put it mildly. For example, qualifying residential evidence had to be scanned and sent to the Home Office. If One doesn't have a scanner... then what? Help line telephone number, not much use. Then after that, following the instructions and trying to upload our information, it wasn't accepted. WHY do we have to go through all this? Why can't we go to our 'civil servants' at our Town Hall and sort it out with real people. Having lived abroad for 44 years and tackled the system there in their language, why can I not understand the UK discombabulatory mentality? What is wrong with these people? How can a little old lady (wrongly put I know) cope with this... they are supposed to be serving us yet seem to be so obstreperous against those who are paying their salaries. When will someone with common sense... a politician (?) wake up and DO something?

Submit a Comment

Submit A Comment