Playing now: The Police - Invisible Sun

Playing next: -  

Yorkshire Coast Radio News

> Index

Whitby And Staithes RNLI Go To Aid Of Yacht

Whitby And Staithes RNLI Go To Aid Of Yacht

Published by the Yorkshire Coast Radio News Team at 1:34pm 22nd February 2017.

Volunteer lifeboat crew from Whitby and Staithes RNLI were both at sea for nearly three hours on Tuesday night as they sped to help a yacht in trouble.

The alarm was raised at 7.30pm after the10m yacht reported engine problems near Boulby Cliffs  between Staithes and Skinningrove.

With a westerly wind rising to Force 7 there were fears that the vessel with four adults and a child aboard could be driven onto the rocks.

Humber Coastguard requested launches at both Whitby and Staithes RNLI stations and although the yacht regained power there were concerns that she would face steering difficulties so both volunteer crews were tasked to escort her to her base in Hartlepool, where she was docked safely.

Whitby RNLI Coxswain Mike Russell said:

"They did the right thing to contact us once they started experiencing difficulties, the weather was getting progressively worse and we decided that although they were up and running again, the safest option was to escort the yacht back to port."

Another vessel the DVS Curtis Marshall also assisted with the initial search for the yacht. The diving team had been working on repairs to the underwater pipe for Boulby potash mine. The crew spotted the yacht on their passage back to Hartlepool and updated the RNLI with its location.

Whitby RNLI station mechanic Richard Dowson said:

"We'd like to thank the crew on the Curtis Marshall for their support, the yacht in question was having trouble with communications so we were grateful to receive information that helped us reach it as quickly as possible"

The volunteer crew's lifeboats, Whitby's all-weather George and Mary Webb and Staithes' inshore Sheila & Dennis Tongue III, returned to their stations by 10.30pm after a passage of some 45 miles at sea.

Sean Baxter, Deputy Launch Authority with Staithes and Runswick RNLI said:

"It was a lengthy operation in tricky wind conditions, so in the circumstances it was a sensible precaution to have both lifeboats escort the vessel safely home."


No comments have been posted and approved yet.

Submit a Comment

Submit A Comment