Apprentice nursery assistant
To provide support in the day to day operation of the setting. Undertaking face to face work with the children in delivering programmes of activities and providing all round care in line with the early Years foundation stage.
Key workers, Room supervisors, Deputy Manager and the manager of Jitterbugs
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE:
As of contract of employment
ANTICIPATED OUTCOMES OF JITTERBUGS
- The setting will provide Outstanding quality childcare and education for children aged 0-14 years of age
- The Early years foundation stage principals, including the statutory and non statutory guidance Standards are met and exceeded.
MODEL PERSON SPECIFICATION AND APTITUDES
- Must hold a relevant childcare Level 2 qualification, or working towards or be willing to undertake a level 2 qualification in childcare.
- An awareness of the need of children.
- Knowledge or awareness of the Early Years Foundation stage principles and practice.
- Knowledge and understanding of health and safety practices.
- Understanding relevant administration procedures including children’s registration requirements.
- Understanding equal opportunities issues and practices relating to the aims and objectives of community groups, ie race culture religion etc.
- Knowledge of basic record keeping of children’s achievements.
- Work as part of a team, sharing working knowledge and skills.
- Develop a range of play/ learning related skills.
- Work flexibility and able to rearrange work plans in relating to changing priorities.
- Interact sensitively with other workers, children and carers.
- Listen to, understand the needs, aspirations and recognise the needs of individual children.
- Able to quickly assimilate new procedures and working methods.
- Administer first aid and understand first line child protection with training.
KEY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To assist and supervise play with the children
- To oversee activities which cover all areas of children’s development.
- To act as assist the key worker for a group of children.
- To liaise with and support parents and carers
- Be responsible for the preparation of children’s records in your group and room
- Support all staff and engage in a good staff team within your room and throughout the setting.
- To attend all in and out of working hour’s activities e.g monthly staff meetings, training etc
- Undertake certain domestic jobs within the Nursery e.g. preparation of snack, cleaning of equipment and cleaning of areas within the setting.
- Participate in training programmes
- Ensure good hygiene and cleanliness are maintained at all times
- Record accidents using appropriate documentation and ensure that parents sign accident forms
- Develop and maintain good relationships and communication with parents / carers to facilitate day to day caring needs of the children.
- Ensure someone known to the setting collects all the children
- To ensure all children are signed in and out.
- To ensure the provision of a outstanding high quality environment to meet the needs of individual children
- To undertake planning as required in line with the Early Years Foundation stage principles and practice.
- Ensure planning is implemented
- Ensure all the settings policies and procedures are adhered to.
- To prepare and supervise snacks, supervise and serve dinner and teas in accordance with the setting’s policy and procedures.
- Supervise outdoor play, maintaining and assessing outdoor play provision on a daily basis regardless of the weather, including daily risk assessments.
- Assist with the responsibility and control children on nursery outings to the shops and park etc.
- Taking story time, singing and participating at music circle times with children and supporting students and less qualified staff with this task.
- Setting out and clearing away activities, encouraging the assistance of children.
- Encourage children’s own independence on an ongoing basis and move children onto their next steps within their own personal development.
- Introduce and settle children into their new environment.
- Assist and supervise children with toilet and nappy changing routine’s.
- Be responsible for displaying children’s work in an interesting way, using the correct infant text.
- To assist in the training of students of all kinds.
- Be responsible for the health and safety of the children, reporting and removing any dangerous equipment.
- Showing parents around the nursery, explaining nursery procedure in a positive way, attending parents evenings and sharing information about their child’s progress.
- To under take any other duties which maybe required from time to time.
- Participate with self and nursery appraisals.
- Manage children’s behaviour and adapt to meet the needs of individual children.
- To receive fees from parents and hand out invoices.
- May be required to purchase materials under direction.
- Parents, teachers, and other professionals involved in the care of children under our service provision and development of provision.
- Contribute to the settings development and implementation of the settings objectives at the appropriate level including :
Health and safety in the work place
Performance appraisal, investors in people, equal opportunities and managing diversity.
Professional performance to be maintained continually.